You have probably been stationed on active duty at the Camp Lejeune military base in North Carolina. Or, you are thinking of requesting a transfer there. Irrespective of your motivation, you must first research and check if Camp Lejeune is suitable for your military family to move.
It is normal to wonder about the hot weather and humid summers, especially if you are from the cooler states. But, the life on base is full of communal harmony, thrill, and a lively atmosphere.
The best part? It would be the multiple programs that the federal government offers to provide support to military families moving to this camp. This blog will discuss everything you need to know before moving here.
The Truth About Camp Lejeune Water Contamination
Life at Camp Lejeune was not always sunshine and rainbows. There was a time between 1950 to 1980 when tragedy occurred. Some underground storage tanks located near waste disposal sites leaked. It caused toxic substances to mix with the drinking water.
TorHoerman Law suggests that among these were Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) like forever chemicals and industrial solvents. Most military personnel living there did not know until 30 years later.
That means 1 million veterans were exposed to toxic drinking water for decades. These victims develop life-threatening diseases like cancer, lymphoma, etc.
Hence, causing the affected individuals to protest and file for Camp Lejeune lawsuits. After ten years of struggling with the federal government, the Camp Lejeune water contamination settlement amounts were disclosed. It was between USD 10,000 to USD 500,000, depending on the extent of the injury.
Today, the American government has passed a Camp Lejeune Justice Act that ensures safety for every affected individual. Other than that, water safety standards were set up. And there is regular testing to ensure the water’s drinkability and usability. Therefore, the drinking water is 100% free of chemicals and harmful toxins. It assures the quality of life of residents.
Some Camp Lejeune Facts Your Family Should Know
You already know Camp Lejeune is home to the “Expeditionary Forces in Readiness.” It means that there are major Marine Corps and Navy command outposts here.
You will feel honored to be part of a combat-ready unit. Therefore, your family should also know unique facts about the base to understand the base’s popularity and importance.
- Size – Camp Lejeune stretches to 156,000 acres of land with state-of-the-art defense facilities to keep families safe. It includes 11 miles of beaches, 80 firing ranges, training facilities, 34 gun positions, and 50 landing zones.
- Population – The base has 170,000 residents. That means your family will be around like-minded dependents, retirees, and civilians.
- Infrastructure – There are shopping centers, family support buildings, and recreational activities at Camp Lejeune. You will find childcare and education facilities as well.
- Awards – This base received the Commander-in-Chief’s Award of Installation Excellence nine times. It signifies the effectiveness of defense, infrastructure, development, and asset management.
Furthermore, the economic revenue of Camp Lejeune is USD 3 billion. Your family will get everything they need inside the base as there are banks, fitness centers, theaters, libraries, and hobby shops.
Why Should You Accept Your Transfer to Camp Lejeune?
Veterans living at Camp Lejeune always talk about the brilliance of this military base. It includes civilian amenities, great training grounds, and fun activities. You will appreciate being stationed here, and your family will be happy.
Listed below are the top reasons why you should not hesitate to move to Camp Lejeune with your family:
- The community is welcoming. And the neighborhood has a “we are all in this together” vibe, especially in the Marine Corps community.
- Your friends and relatives can visit with proper permits during the holidays since the base is open to visitors.
- There are fun activities for the soldiers to feel cheerful, like horse riding. You will love the historic 1940s World War II essence.
- You will have access to multicultural opportunities due to the diverse communities present in the camp.
Furthermore, the Camp Lejeune base is located at a prime location. Hence, you can take your family on weekend trips. Moreover, you can head over to the Wilmington Railroad Museum, Bear Island, Lynnwood Park Zoo, Topsail Beaches, and more.
Places like Fort Fisher and Fort Macon have beautiful displays of old canons that anyone would love.
The Bottom Line
Now you know how great Camp Lejeune can be for your military career and family. The base has learned from the gruesome Camp Lejeune lawsuit. Hence, the drinking water is safe now. Ideally, there are regular checks to ensure the quality of water there.
Moreover, your family would love the base due to the infrastructure, population, and safety. For example, there are 170,000 like-minded individuals living on base. There are schools and recreational centers as well. The community is welcoming and it has a historic charm to it.
Overall, Camp Lejeune is a splendid place for your military family.