If you’ve received the devastating news that you’ve developed Parkinson’s Disease as a result of Paraquat exposure, you may qualify for compensation. You will have plenty of medical bills and other considerations regarding your new diagnosis, and all of these things are hard to navigate on your own.
Luckily, you don’t have to develop a complete understanding of the legal system in order to receive the benefits to which you are due. An experienced Paraquat lawyer can help you get every cent to which you are entitled.
What is Paraquat?
Paraquat is an herbicide that is frequently used in farming and agriculture. It became popular due to it’s outstanding weed-killing capability. Farmers and those who work with crops saw great results from the use of Paraquat on their fields.
However, it has recently come to light that a dangerous compound inherent in Paraquat, MPTP, may be causing Parkinson’s disease in those who are exposed to it.
How Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Cases against Paraquat manufacturers are increasing, and researchers are finding that MPTP seems to be affecting humans the same way it affects lab animals. Scientists have long used MPTP to cause Parkinson’s Disease in lab animals for research purposes.
The logical link is becoming increasingly clear:
- MPTP causes Parkinson’s in lab animals.
- MPTP is found in Paraquat.
- More and more people are starting to develop Parkinson’s disease as a result of Paraquat exposure.
- Paraquat seems to cause Parkinson’s Disease in people who come in contact with it.
Who Might Be Exposed to Paraquat?
Of course, those who work closely with the substance on a daily basis are at high risk for exposure and for developing complications. These groups include:
- And more.
Unfortunately, the risk is not limited to just those who work directly with the substance. Through two distinct phenomena known as “pesticide drift” and “overspray”, those who live near or visit areas adjacent to farms or other facilities that use Paraquat are also at risk.
Legal Help and Compensation in Paraquat Cases
Again, these Paraquat lawsuit cases are still in their early stages. Therefore, it will take some time for this to become a clear-cut settlement where we can discuss average settlement amounts and other pertinent details.
However, if you believe you qualify for compensation due to Paraquat exposure, you should follow these 2 steps:
- See Your Doctor. If you are having symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, you need to be evaluated by a medical professional. Whether or not your symptoms are a result of Paraquat exposure is irrelevant if you don’t get a proper diagnosis and begin treatment.
- Contact a Paraquat Lawyer. While it is possible to navigate the system of Paraquat law on your own, it is not advisable. You will be spending hours researching things that your Paraquat lawyer will already know and would have been able to help with in seconds. It is well worth the investment to have an experienced Paraquat lawyer on your side.